How to Make Your Own Balsam Christmas Wreath
In Maine, millions of wreaths are made each year. These wreaths are usually made from balsam fir brush. Balsam fir is used because it is both plentiful in Maine and also an easy material to make Christmas wreaths with.
The end portion of a balsam fir branch is called a "tip". Tip lengths range from 12 to 20 inches. This tip may be broken into 2 or 3 pieces. These pieces are placed together to form a tip bunch and wired onto a ring to make a wreath.
It is worth noting that balsam fir tips are a renewable resource and within a couple of years of harvesting, the balsam fir tree is ready to be harvested again. Maine imposes severe penalties upon anyone who cuts down a tree in order to remove the branches and Maine Made Christmas only deals with reputable "tippers" to acquire our "tips".
Step 4. Wind wire several times around the ring's weld.
Step 10. Repeat until first bunch is nearly reached. Lift up 1st bunch and tuck in a bunch. Wire to ring.
- If you like our site, please share it!
- Home Page
- View Your Shopping Cart
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Why Choose Maine Made Christmas
- Important Shipping Information
- Printable Order Form
- Classic Christmas Wreath - NEW!
- Winter Holly Wreath
- Maine Wild Blueberry Wreath
- 24" Traditional Balsam Wreath
- 30" Traditional Balsam Wreath
- Ribbon Candy Balsam Wreath
- Simply Elegant Christmas Wreath
- 22" Balsam Christmas Wreath
- Car Wreath
- Undecorated Balsam Wreaths
- 'Twas the Night Before Christmas Centerpiece
- Downeast Summer Centerpiece
- Winter Centerpiece
- Winter Holly Centerpiece
- Home for the Holidays Centerpiece
- Maine Wild Blueberry Centerpiece
- Traditional Balsam Centerpiece
- Ribbon Candy Centerpiece
- State of Maine Centerpiece
- Classic Kissing Ball
- Plaid Kissing Ball
- Bar Harbor Kissing Ball
- Acadia Kissing Ball
- Victorian Kissing Ball
- Williamsburg Kissing Ball
- Why We Use Balsam Fir
- About Maine Balsam Christmas Wreaths
- Maine Made Christmas BLOG
- Suggested Sites
- Christmas Traditions & Legends
- How to Make Your Own Wreath
Join Our Mailing List
- Receive occasional seasonal reminders and new product information.